Widescreen Aspect

janne jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Fri Oct 22 04:33:48 UTC 2004

fre 2004-10-22 klockan 06:01 +0200 skrev Erik Bågfors:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:22:45 +1000, Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 04:58 +0200, calle wrote:
> > > I know dell & apple use 16x10 for their wide-stuff, but ofcourse there
> > > will be differences, since there seemes to be no standard or
> > > "difference" (widescreen is both 16x9 and 16x10). Hence if ubuntu
> > > wants to be truly great there'll have to be (at least?) the three
> > > aspects, 4x3, 16x9, 16x10, i guess?
> >
> > Along with very quickly diminishing returns... ;-) We'll figure
> > something out. It may just be that, eventually, we use ratio-independent
> > methods rather than shipping special widescreen images at all.
> >
> > In the mean time, any more input on the 16:9 vs 16:10 issue is welcome;
> > I want to sort that out if it's wrong.
>
> I'm currently looking at a very very nice HP-monitor that is running
> at 1920 by 1200 and that seams to be 16:10. So it looks like HP is
> also doing that ratio.

My current main machine (Dell Latitude) has 1920x1200 as well. On the
other hand, a stream of recent subnotebooks (like the Sony Vaio T and
others) have a 1280x768 screen which comes out to 10:6 (or about
16:9.6).

One solution is probably to have backgrounds that are a little forgiving
when stretched or compressed and have a generic 16:9 or 16:10 widescreen
image that is adjusted appropriately.

Another one is to make the images 16:10 and a little tileable, so when
added as a tile on the screen, it won't be visible that your far right
edge may actually be the left edge of the same image.

A bit strange (and unfortunate) that laptop widescreens aren't using the
same proportions as widescreen TV (which is 16:9 in both Europe and USA
at least, and, I think, in Japan).

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden