aptitude command line - why?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Thu Oct 21 15:21:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 10:18:37AM +0100, Ben Edwards wrote:

> I have used both apt-get and aptitude, I thought aptitude was simply
> and interface for apt-get.  Is there more to it?

aptitude is an entirely different program from apt-get, and aptitude does
not use apt-get at all.  They do share code in the form of a library
provided by apt.

> Am I correct in thinking aptitude is better at removing dependent packages
> when they are not needed?

aptitude implements this feature, while apt-get does not implement it at
all.  So, yes, I suppose you could say that aptitude is better at this. :-)

--
 - mdz