Share printer over IPP to local network over gnome interface

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Thu Oct 21 13:24:48 UTC 2004

Hi!

Maximilian Gerlach [2004-10-20 16:12 +0200]:
> Hi,
> as already mentioned in the subject - is there a way to share the
> printer with my home network, without having to edit the config?
> Since I am very happy with the gnome interface to the CUPS
> configuration, I'd be happy to comply this task with it, too.

I'm afraid that is beyond the scope of the current Gnome CUPS Manager
:-( Maybe in the next version...

In the meantime you have to change /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. The relevant
parts are:

  Listen 127.0.0.1:631

which restricts listening for requests to the local computer (either
add a similar Listen statement for every IP that should have access,
or replace this by "Port 631" to listen to any IP)

and

  <Location />
  Order Deny,Allow
  Deny From All
  Allow From 127.0.0.1
  </Location>

Similarly, just add some "Allow From" lines with the hosts/networks
that should have access. The different possibilities how to specify a
network are explained in the config file (e.g. 192.168.1.*)

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer            http://www.ubuntulinux.org