What do you like best about Ubuntu?

Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski emil.oppeln.bronikowski at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 05:16:17 UTC 2004

> Here are a few of the things I like best:

> * It's Debian based.

 It's not only apt-get I like. I like Debain overall and I know it
very well. So there no learning curve while using Ubuntu for me.

> * The install actually works and is easy to use.

 I've installed Debian yest. It's almost the same installer now, so I
can not see why Debain should be ,,harder'' to get than Ubuntu. :-)

 Next, custom installation makes fine env. for a poweruser. I just
boot installation, wait few minutes and *bam* I have small linux box,
with set of useful tools and apt-get. What do you need more to build
whatever system you like? :)

> * It's up-to-date.  GNOME 2.8, 2.6 kernel using UDEV, etc.

 Plus thing, for sure!

> * The MacOS X "no root account" sudo approach is nice.

 And for su lovers, there allways sudo -s :->

> * The whole "pictures of humans" thing aside, I really like the Ubuntu
> logo, theme, etc.

 Im more like enjoy ,,Ubuntu'' ideals.

> * This community is nice.  However most starting communities are, lets
> hope it stays this way.  :)

 Most starting communities are, for sure. But we have ,,survived p0rn
disscussion''. That was quite big problem and everyone managed (thanks
to Ubuntu Developers) to deal with it. Now, solution is provided and
everyone seems to be happy. If we'll follow Ubuntu's code of conduct,
I hope we'll not see more ,,idiot'' insults in posts.

> - The boot time is way too long.

 I see other side of this problem. See, most Windows boxes don't have
to run as mutch services as Linux do. My friend's XP box runs in ~40
secs, while same procedure (from ground to X) takes my Linux box
around 1:20 min. I could argue with him about that, but:

a) How often do you boot your machine? I do it not more than 2 times
pre day (at work once per week). I wait more on traffic lights. ;)

b) My box runs POP3/SMTP, two SQL databases, FTPd, Apache. Most
Windows boxes dosen't do it.

c) Init scripts are taking some time to run. We could have BSD's style
Initscirpts (that's why Slackware boot times are mutch shorter;-) but
it won't be a Debain anymore ;-)

--
 Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski, opi on freenode/#ubuntu :-)
 http://opi.pegasos.pl