what's the script to install/configure X?

Alexander Antoniades sanderant at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:21:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:15:51 -0400, Scott Sweeny <ssweeny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you type all that in the same line?  The stuff in all caps is just
> setting some temporary environment variables for  dpkg to use.
> Ironically enough I had to use that to try and solve a mouse problem
> of mine (didn't work... but that's another story).  I typed that line
> exactly as it appears and I got the X configurator.

OK, maybe this is an issue, but I'm logging on as myself. I'm not root
so don't I need to preface the dpkg-reconfigure with sudo? I had to
preface the cp in line 4 with sudo.

Also maybe it is working, but when I type this command I get the
standard debconf screens where you select your chipset, etc. Is that
what I'm supposed to see?

I didn't recall entering this info during the install, I thought the X
configurator would autmagically write a config without any prompting.

Basically the AGP card on this system's fan failed and I'm using the
onboard Intel chipset. Windows says it's an Intel 82815, I choose i810
on the config screen, I get something about a PCI address, and it
never seems to work.

Thanks,

Sander