Where to set environment variables

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Wed Oct 20 13:48:42 UTC 2004

Hi!

Richard M. Barry [2004-10-20 14:06 +0100]:
> This might sound stupid, but did you reboot after you made the
> changes to the files (or run "source ~/.bash_profile" in stead of
> rebooting)?   What happens to PATH when you type "export
> PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/java/bin" in the console, does it change to
> what you expected?
>
> You're on the right track in changing ~/.bash_profile and
> /etc/profile, it should work (or else I'm missing something simple
> here)

I also experience this problem. Setting $PATH as usual in
~/.bash_profile / ~/.bashrc works great on the text consoles; this
also works fine in other window managers, but some stupid thing just
ignores PATH changes after .bashrc finishes in a Gnome terminal (also
X terminal).

So this is obviously _not_ the right track :-(

This drives me crazy, too...

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de