Framebuffer enabled at boot

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Wed Oct 20 10:16:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 18:32 -0200, Gabriel Menini wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I want to have FrameBuffer enabled at boot time. My graphic card is a
> nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] and have X running using the
> nVidia binary package.
>
> I use Debian Woody at home whith a less expensive video card and have fb
> when using the console.
>
> How can I enable it under Ubuntu?
>
> My boot loader is LiLo.

Your kernel sets up framebuffer, so the way to achieve this (provided
framebuffer support has been compiled in) is to pass it the right
option, "vga=XXX".

My favourite is "vga=791" for 1024z768 16bit fb.

In LILO (just an example, modify for your situation):

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	vga=791