USB Thumbdrive issue

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 22:26:37 UTC 2004

Well, OpenOffice (1.x) is slow at saving files.  By slow I mean a
minute plus for a large-ish file is not un-heard of.  Also, if your
USB pen drive is USB 1.x then it's max speed is likely ~700k/s (my
USB2 external Hard drive @ USB1.1 maxes out around 750k/s).  At
several hundred k/s speeds (Much slower than a hard drive) OpenOffice
would be even slower to save.  Meanwhile, while OpenOffice is
consuming all the bandwidth to your USB drive, opening another window
(trying to access the drive) would not get you very far.  It's a
bandwidth contention issue.

Frankly, this is all kernel-level stuff.  Gnome, OpenOffice, and
Ubuntu have very little to do with it (well, OpenOffice 2.x is much
faster at opening / saving files, but that doesn't fix the underlying
issue).  The kernel people would have to implement some sort of weird
per-process i/o limit per drive and that would be horrible.  How to
determine the limit?  What if there's only one process running?  Will
anyone put up with their drives feeling 'slower'?  Frankly, I've
observed similar phenomena in Windows (from 9x to XP) and BeOS.  It's
just a limitation of the hardware and how hard it is to share it
fairly and efficiently.

--tim