a torrent of warts

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 18:49:30 UTC 2004

Daniel Silverstone wrote:

> BitTorrent uses SHA1 internally to make sure that you downloaded the
> right file so arguably the only thing you need is the hash of
> the .torrent file. BitTorrent is a fantastically safe download mechanism
> and it saves everyone bandwidth.

True - but I personally am always glad of an MD5SUM of the iso  - it's
useful for checking the image later on if I think it's been corrupted
(e.g. owing to a hard disk that's bveginning to fail or something - I've
had it happen). It's possible to include multiple files in the same
torrent, so including an MD5SUM file for the ISO is not a bad idea - and
  it's not as if it's going to make much difference to the size of the
download!

Andy