Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Tue Oct 19 16:06:21 UTC 2004

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com]On Behalf Of steve
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 5:42 PM
To: ubuntu
Subject: Re: Community response of new ubuntu artwork

I really wish we could move on with this. The vision behind Ubuntu
belongs to the developers and the folks that bring Ubuntu to people like
me. If the splash screen is their vision, who am I to object. I don't
particularly like it, but it makes sense with the whole Ubuntu theme
(intellectual).

I have to admit that I find the black girl somewhat erotically arousing,
because you can see the fleshy base of her mammary and I am hardwired as
it were to be visually stimulated by such things. I don't know how far
that could go because I only have a couple seconds every once and a
while to stare and imagine the full figure etc. Anyway, just my two
cents.

steve
Ubuntu on an iMac user.

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 03:31 -0500, misGnomer wrote:
> [quote:df1928d12c="kjkrum at comcast.net"]On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:59:08
-0400

> I'm vexed that so many defenders of this artwork keep characterising its
> opponents as prudes.  What you don't seem to understand is that
> professionalism does not involve a moral judgment.  It's simply a
> protocol.  Any geek should understand the importance of following
> protocols...
>
> Krum

> I believe that is explained with the fact that the opponents of the human
artwork have used both moralistic and "corporate conformance" arguments.

> Prudishness is in the eye of the beholder.
>
> I don't see even slightest hint of nudity or sexuality in this artsy
image. To me it celebrates the essence of Linux; humans hand in hand with no
artificial conflicts. Instead of wearing some ethnic costumes or
western-style office outfits, these people just wear the basic items every
person on the planet is familiar with.

> I found it very surprising that a person from the so-called western
culture would find the artwork sexually suggestive; I mean, how does one
watch TV and read mainstream magazines without being constantly aroused if
that is the case?   :P

> But fair enough, having lived and travelled extensively in many faraway
lands I'm somewhat familiar with many non-western cultures and in some of
them this artwork wouldn't be their first choice and in others people would
(at least publically) frown upon it.

> With GNOME having great emphasis towards internationalization ("i18n") and
flexible support for practically all scripts, soon enough all languages from
Arabic to Tibetan are covered. Although the current single-CD distribution
can't conceivably ship with support for all languages and scripts, it would
be nice if versions with alternative language sets were made available in
the future. When that happens, I fully understand if certain existing
cultural sensitivities call for the sensationally bare shoulders to be
covered and simply replaced by the nice rounded triangle logo (although
that, too just might carry some unwelcome connotations in some far corner of
the earth).

> Still, I'd hope that the original human artwork would remain as a
configuration option or at minimum as a downloadable "decadently liberal
afro-western art-pack".   :wink:

> This has been somewhat of a storm in a teacup, but all publicity is good
publicity and it's been a great introduction to a lively debate which is
part of every community.

> I like the artwork, but since Ubuntu is all about *inclusion* we should
all be willing to compromise. The Ubuntu graphic is nice indeed and makes
for a fine login graphic or wallpaper while the fine human artwork deserves
to remain a configuration option only a click away.

> For the prudish (heh heh) corporate and educational environments there
should really be a separate and configurable installation image anyway,
where some options are locked while other features are added according to
their specific needs. EDUbuntu & WorkUbuntu? Even something along the lines
of Linux Terminal Server Project as an alternative to standalone
installations?

> PS. It's great that people feel strongly enough to argue for getting
(Ubuntu) Linux into schools and offices. Regardless of moral or taste
judgements wrt. artwork, I truly respect and appreciate that.