can't play solitaire *gasp!*

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 00:05:17 UTC 2004

I think I may have found the culprit. Since the program crashes before
I see the GUI at all, I wasn't able to peek at the settings (that I
know of) to see if the app was configured weird.

Then I discovered in the help file that you can specify the game
variation via the command line. So I tried this:

"sol --variation=klondike"

It worked like a charm. The game variation it was on the last time I
used it was NOT one of the variations supplied with the app. Even
though the variation "klondike.scm" file mentions the ability to deal
three cards at a time, there isn't an option in the GUI (or the
command line that I can see) to enable the three card deal.

So what did I do? I Googled for "aisleriot klondike draw three" and
found a game variation file created by a guy from MIT who has a
website about the game Aisleriot. His site stated that the game
configuration was based on the official klondike game that ships with
Aisleriot - it was just modified to deal three cards instead of one.
(at second glance, the MIT guy is credited in many of the default
variations, so I assume he knows what he's doing).

After much experimenting, here's what I've discovered:

1. Launching the game via the application menu or command line doesn't work
2. Launching the game and defining the variation works with the default games.
3. Launching the game and using the third-party variation doesn't work
4. After launching, I can change to the third-party game and play it just fine

I freely admit that it looks like a case of user-error, but I still
don't know how to fix it. Assuming I DO get it fixed, what is the
correct way to play klondike and deal three cards?

Again, this is ultra-low priority, and ever lower now that I've
discovered a temporary fix. I'll still gladly accept suggestions if
someone has one (and has a few minutes to spare).

Aaron