viewing contents of tar/tar.gz/tgz files

Petri Pennanen suvarin at home.se
Mon Oct 18 20:19:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 06:24 -0400, volvoguy wrote:
> I've never used a bugzilla, here or otherwise. Is there a
> place there to request something like this? I'd be more than happy to
> create an account there and enter this issue if others think it's
> important.

Create new bugzilla account:
https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/createaccount.cgi

Bug writing guidelines:
https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/page.cgi?id=bug-writing.html

Enter a new bug:
https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Ubuntu
Select component (less or bash), mark severity as enhancement, write a
good description and click submit..

> Since several people knew all about it, I'm apparently not
> the only one that uses it. :-)

> I suppose I should really get a book and try to learn some shell
> scripting.

You might want to start by reading some intros:
http://user.it.uu.se/~matkin/documents/shell/
http://steve-parker.org/sh/sh.shtml

I have been intending to read those for ages.

> How is it on the difficulty scale for someone that only
> knows enough important terms to be dangerous? Is there a better
> language for a "learn it myself" type guy like me?

I don't know about dangerous. I assume that you can make the same
mistakes as you can do in a regular shell.

Python is said to be a good language for beginners. I like it myself,
even though my programming experience is nearly nonexistant. The code is
somehow aesthetic. I also remember reading something about Ubuntu having
a policy of "python everywhere"..

An intro to python for the non-programmer:
http://www.hetland.org/python/instant-hacking.php

Python tutorial:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/

Dive into Python is included in Warty.. You might also be intrested in
How to Think Like a Computer Scientist - Learning with Python:
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

And don't forget:
http://python.org/

> I'm a graphic designer and not really used to using the other half of my brain - but
> there's a lot less demand for graphic designers in the open-source
> world than there is for people who can program.

I think that skillset will come in handy too. I saw some of your work in
another thread, it was really nice.

- Petri