mirroring archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu with rsync

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Oct 18 18:42:38 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:57:55AM -0500, Daniel B wrote:
>

>>I'm in the process of setting up a local mirror of
>>archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu so that I can update all of my ubuntu
>>machines quickly (with packages from from universe and restricted as
>>needed).
>

> Use a caching proxy server instead.  That way you don't waste time,
> bandwidth and disk space downloading gigabytes of packages that you don't
> use.

Make sure you cache big files:-) I found some of the bigger packages
larger than Squid was set to retain.

Whoops.

Normally I use Squid, but Apache also does a fine job, just differently.
You can set up a local vhost and have it map a remote repository so you
don't specify a proxy to apt-get or d-i etc at all. Instead, you install
from the local site.