Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Mon Oct 18 16:31:16 UTC 2004

i belong to several lists like this one.

i saw traffic  on some the rh and sun lists that  praise
seem to praise the work put into  ubuntu.

they are having a comedic field day with the  current  subject matter.

the users  of  ubuntu currently  the laughing stock of list if such
a  thing existed. most of friends in the router and old unix world
read some of the  post i showed them and just about 'busted  a  gut'
LOL'ing about them.

can we please find  something constructive to discuss.

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com]On Behalf Of Poldi
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 2:37 AM
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com; ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Community response of new ubuntu artwork

I really didn't want to add anything to this thread, but to avoid the
impression that a majority of community member is opposed to this theme (I
think those that oppose it just are more vocal) I will say the following:

- I like it.
- the first impression is sympathical and friendly.
- my wife likes it.
- my 3-year old daughter likes it and I do not see why she should not.
- I and others use it in a corporate anvironment (in a DAX-listed company)
- especially the login-screen shows people clothed like I see them on the
street around here (in summer, that is. if I am at all angry about this it
is because the screen reminds me of the nearing winter around here. I envy
this guy...)
- I am very glad you are not again using _another_ funny little mascot. I do
not want to see chameleons, penguins, gnomes, geckos, little green dragons,
demons and whatnot on my screen because they do not relate to what I do in
any way. If you have an OS with a focus on "this is computer software _for
humans_ to work with and that's it." - great for me.
- I do not for the life of mine see what in any of the discussed pic would
lead to a impression of sexual relatedness. whoever sees this seems to live
in a very sexuality-focus environment.
- I do have friends and collegues from India, Iran and Palestine. none of
which is offended. in fact, a lot of middle-eastern countries have a rich
culture of public baths where nudity (not neccessarily among different
genders, though, is quite natural).
- apart from this, those 'different culture'-people that some think they
need to defend can surely speak for themselves. I am suprised to see
Americans defend Irani moral here and use midle eastern culture as an
argument for their own interests.
- I am from western Europe (Germany), old 32 and have been a proffesional in
IT for my whole business live. this includes business contacts to Japan,
Britain and Scandinavia. the discussed pictures would have been appropriate
everywhere.

kind regards,
Carsten Hintz