Howto - Install vmware tools in Ubunto (VMware 4.5)

Chris ubuntu at functionalfuture.com
Mon Oct 18 16:26:59 UTC 2004

Oops, didn't send this to the list the first time.

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 15:16 +0100, Inacio @ Promoloures wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to linux and specially to ubuntu, (but i think i'm here to
stay
> ;) ), and would like to use it and test some more from within vmware.
>
> I've searched but can't find any how-to on installing (need
compiling)
> vmware tools in ubuntu.
>
> Thank you,
> João Inácio

I assume you are trying to install Ubuntu as a Guest in VMware and want
to install the vmware-tools stuff.

Note this is just the way _I_ do it, which is not always the "correct"
way.

1. Starting with a fresh Ubuntu install.

2. Use Synaptic or apt-get to install gcc and the kernel headers:
   Install "gcc"
   Install "linux-headers-2.6-386"

2. Open a root terminal (Applications->System Tools->Root Terminal)

3. In the terminal execute "/etc/init.d/gdm stop".  This will put you to
the console.

4. Log into the console and start a root shell (sudo -s)

5. In the VMware menu select VM->Install VMware Tools...

6. Mount the VMware Tools CDROM (usually the same device as your virtual
CDROM).  I use IDE virtual cdroms and mine was at /dev/hdc.

9. Extract the vmware tools package
   (eg. tar xvfz /mnt/vmware-linux-tools.tar.gz)

10. Umount the vmware tools cdrom

11. Build and install the vmware tools:

    cd vmware-tools-distrib
    ./vmware-install.pl

12. restart gdm (/etc/init.d/gdm restart)

Should be all done except for cleanup (eg. you can remove the
vmware-tools-distrib directory and your console still has you logged
in).

--
// Chris