Brilliant idea? Involves suspend to disk

Bryan Pizzuti bpizzuti at optonline.net
Mon Oct 18 12:27:01 UTC 2004

Ok, something I've gotten used to running Ubuntu in a VMWare session and
all, is just having the thing suspended to disk while at the logon screen.
Is there any way to get GDM to do this in "real life?" Basically, be at the
logon screen and have "Suspend to disk" as an action, instead of a full
shutdown?  Since I haven't installed it in a "real life" machine yet, I
don't know if this comes up by itself as an option...basically, VMWare
doesn't have a lot of APM going. ;)  But for a machine that powers on and
off a lot, like a laptop, for instance, just being able to log out and then
suspend to disk instead of going down for full shutdown all the time would
seem to be a great asset. And it's NOT like Linux needs to be rebooted that
often. ;)