Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Marius Van Deventer - Umzimkulu mvdeventer at illovo.co.za
Mon Oct 18 07:41:30 UTC 2004

Granted

> However, if I may have one final commment on this subject, I think it
is
> inevitable, as the world becomes more 'global' (huh? :), that as
people
> all around the world have greater access to the various media from
> different
> countries and different cultures, whether that be books and magazines,
or
> radio and television, or the internet and the web, what we will see is
> gradual convergence (to some extent) of all of our differing cultures,
> and I am confident that, in time, virtually nobody will have any
issues
> with this style of artwork (hence "forward-thinking")..

One would hope so...

> ..however, how long it will take to reach such a time, I'm not
prepared
> to guess: within a hundred years, though, I reckon.. ;-)

I agree, and I still maintain that the will always be some things people
disagree on.

> > For instance, very few etnic Zulus would use SuSE Linux since the
> > chameleon is considered a bad omen.
>
> Interesting, I didn't know that. That's unfortunate for SuSE. :-(
> Although I imagine that as time passes, fewer people will believe such
> traditions, in a similar way to superstitions about unlucky black cats
> or walking under ladders (although I agree with you that that's no
> reason to unwittingly cause offense in the meantime).

I one lost a potential girlfriend because she was scared to death of my
black cat :-)

> > Like it or not, Ubuntu is going to have to at least try to please
> > everyone on this issue.
>
> I think we are all coming to agree on that.

Thanks for your reply. Good to see some healthy discussion on the
subject. I hope (as you do) that the solution will be a good one.