Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Ubuntu Forums Post list at ubuntuforums.org
Sun Oct 17 17:23:58 UTC 2004

If someone walks by a workstation in a corporate environment and sees this artwork (knowing nothing of Ubuntu, either the OS or the humanity-oriented definition), it's automatically going to raise red flags - at least, here in the USA, where political correctness has assumed a predominant role in the business world.

Why "shoot yourself in the foot" from the starting gate?  While I do not find the artwork personally offensive, I certainly would not choose to have it on my system at work - it's just common sense [i:d54e3b0d7f]and[/i:d54e3b0d7f] common courtesy.  If someone may be offended by certain language, I don't use that language in their presence.

It's a fine, courageous and even ethical position to say "I don't give a rat's a** about what other people think".  However, it's a position that is not going to make many inroads to the environments that (I think) the Linux community wants to reach.  Make it an option during initial installation, or a choice via the [i:d54e3b0d7f]apt[/i:d54e3b0d7f] update mechanism.  Open source [i:d54e3b0d7f]is[/i:d54e3b0d7f] supposed to be about choices, isn't it?

Finally, wouldn't the spirit of ubuntu be better served by reasonable discussion as opposed to personal attacks, name-calling, insults and vitriol?  Just a thought....

[i:d54e3b0d7f]Thanks![/i:d54e3b0d7f]

Mark Tomlinson
Santa Monica, California, USA