Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Seth Williamson orthodox at ntelos.net
Sun Oct 17 17:08:02 UTC 2004

Colin Watson wrote:

 > I think this is the main thing that's got to me about the
 > whole artwork mess: it's created huge divisions in a
 > newly-born community for no good reason...

Precisely.  Quite apart from the merits or lack thereof of the artwork,
it has needlessly pissed off a large portion of what had heretofore been
an enthusiastic user base.  And all for...what?  Do the developers
seriously believe there's some overarching principle at stake here?  Get
real.

The best way to change the world is to do something worthwhile and be
excellent at it.  To make an excellent distribution of open-source
software is a big-enough challenge all by itself, and a worthwhile goal
in itself.  Do that well and you'll have done way more than most people
in the cause of making the world a better place.  Trying to make a
political point with pictures that look as if they were lifted from the
ad section of Vogue magazine is a jejeune exercise that accomplishes
exactly nothing.

Seth Williamson
Daleville, VA