[Repost] Ubuntu Crashed, Won't Reboot

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Sun Oct 17 16:47:18 UTC 2004

Hi!

Brett Kirksey [2004-10-14 13:24 -0400]:
> Last night I after I did the latest update, everything just
> froze then went into a garbled black window that appeared to
> have some text about X screensaver. I was forced to reboot, but
> now when I try to start up it sits on "Starting Ubuntu..." for
> a long time then spits a bunch of errors until it finallys says
> it is killing the init.

Hmm, without having an idea which "bunch of errors" occurred in
particular, there is only little that we can do.

Just some hints: if the errors scroll too fast, you can press Ctrl+S
to stop output (press Ctrl+Q to continue). Also, you can try if the
"recovery mode" (boot option) works.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de