Ubuntu artwork poll

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sun Oct 17 13:19:57 UTC 2004

MaX wrote:

> but we have another easy and free solution:
>
> The Fork of ubuntu!

Woo Woo, let's split the community even more!

Let's ignore the fact Cannonical are supported by a very generous
millionaire with a love of free software and the knowledge to hire the
right people to get the job done and do it ourselves!

I could take this thought to it's (irr)logical conclusion and have you
all ditching debian, ditching linux, ditching digital computing,
ditching the wheel but that would be stupid and would return us to the
dark ages.

I'm not even going to ask where and how you would support another distro
forked just because someone is topless (but covered up) just think of
the bandwidth this arguement has consumed over the last week and then
add several naughts for all the downloads.

If you want to fork ubuntu go right ahead you have the freesoftware
movement behind you and I 100% support your right to do so.  But when
you turn into 'just another debian derivative' (to quote the many folks
who have used terms to this effect over the last few weeks relating to
ubuntu's imminent demise) don't come crying back to the source.

Think of the thousands of developers Debian has and ask yourself could
you get this support.  Look at all the failed distro's that tried to do
it alone and fell by the wayside (or got fubared like SCO).  Don't you
think waiting until ubuntu is even released before you go so far and
splitting the community would be a good fscking idea?

If, and that's an if, ubuntu is released containing the contested images
  as the default why not just distribute a patch so people of a
sensitive nature (or working in the confines of a fscked up corporate
system that won't even allow photo's of loved ones (are these places
even going to consider ubuntu on the desktop?) on the desktop) can have
a version acceptable to their usage policies, religous, personal or
other ideologies?

That would save you a shed load of bandwidth, a bucketload of a trouble
and the label of yet another freesoftware splitter.

Just my 2p and let's drop this subject until the irc chat.

sparkes

--
t:07005 968 999 f:07005 968 888
   http://www.swishdesign.com