OT: recommend fast 2D card?

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at canonical.com
Sun Oct 17 10:35:37 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 03:03:06PM -0400, volvoguy wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:22:07 -0700, Daniel Stone
> <daniel.stone at canonical.com> wrote:
> > The ATI r2xx chipsets (8500->9200, with the 9100 being optimal, followed
> > by the 8500, followed by the 9200, followed by the 9000) should be quite
> > screamingly fast in 2D, however when you're dealing with 1.5MB images,
> > it's always going to hurt.
>
> That's great info Daniel. Thanks! I asked a similar question a while
> back and was just directed to the known working hardware page on the
> wiki - but it was specifics like this that I was looking for.
>
> Would you happen to know WHY an older model card works better than a
> newer one? I've been relatively pleased with the performance of my ATI
> Radeon 7500, but the Nvidia TNT2 card with almost half the clock speed
> and half the video RAM of my Radeon usually yields even better
> performance yet than the Radeon.

The 9000 is based on the rv250 core (which is a cut-down r200; it has
fewer pipelines, IIRC, but is clocked slightly faster), and the
8500/9100 are based on the original r200.  I personally much prefer the
original r200, as it gives better performance in most situations.

> I've been planning on upgrading to a Radeon 9600xt "All In Wonder"
> card (realizing that the TV stuff may not work very well in Linux -
> I'm still dual-booting). If this card's performance isn't any better
> than a less expensive card, maybe it isn't such a good idea.

I think fglrx has good TV out.  Not only is the 9600 the next core up (I
believe it's an rv350), but it's also at the high end of the 9600 series
-- XT being the best card you can get in any particular series.  It's a
nice card; I wouldn't be giving it away anytime soon.  The 3D isn't
supported in open source yet, which is the only reason I recommended the
r2xx cards off the top of my head (they're also far cheaper).

--
Daniel Stone                                        <daniel.stone at canonical.com>