graphics repository?

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 06:53:13 UTC 2004

Ok. I have my first few backgrounds that I'd like to share with the
community. What is the general consensus for the best way to do this?
We don't have the necessary script installed on the wiki to make
thumbnails, so they don't seem very practical there. They could go on
one of the community art sites like "art.gnome.org" or
"gnome-look.org" - but they're not really Ubuntu specific and things
tend to get lost because of the volume. The last option I can think of
is hosting them myself on my homepage.

I'm favoring my homepage option, but I wouldn't mind getting a few
opinions, and we ALL know that everyone here has an opinion. ;-)

Once my initial images are posted, I wouldn't mind some official
feedback from Canonical type people to make sure my logo usage is ok.
So far everything is VERY basic - mainly just "remixes" with the
various colors from the Ubuntu palette. I've been going in the
direction of minimalism, as some of the previous artwork did - so the
graphics I've done thus far are all SVG files. The benefit of this is
that you can pick one of my files and then choose any background color
or gradient you want. I haven't figured out exactly how and/or when
Gnome rasterizes SVG files for this purpose, but I was getting some
"jaggies" when working with smaller dimension files. My last batch was
done at 1600x1200 (which the Ubuntu folks are using as well), and so
far they seem to render really sharp.

So... Thoughts anyone? I'd also be happy to accept potential graphic
ideas. Beside the SVG stuff I'm having fun with, I also have access to
several free (or really cheap*) royalty free stock photography that
could be incorporated into theme graphics.

*Cheap enough that I can justify buying them to donate. :-)

Aaron