XFree86 vs. XOrg

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at canonical.com
Sat Oct 16 03:33:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 05:15:58PM -0400, Brett K wrote:
> On Friday 15 October 2004 at 22:24+0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > > is XOrg a thing to be regarded for Ubuntu?
> > yepp, in the next release it's planned.
>
> Is there anything new and exciting in XOrg? I remember reading
> somewhere that they will eventually add transparency. How far
> away is that?

Transparency (through Composite) has been added, as well as Damage
(which can be practically used to slice network bandwidth in half), and
the Event Interception Extension.  Composite and XEVIE are a great pair
for accessibility applications.

But the most crucial part of any X release is support for newer
chipsets, et al, in drivers, and X.Org has that in spades.  The crux of
our backporting (some 250,000 lines of patches) is to do with bringing
driver support back to our version of XFree86 4.3.

--
Daniel Stone                                        <daniel.stone at canonical.com>