After upgrade firefox has reverted and I can't reinstall 1.0PR

Darren Critchley darrenc at telus.net
Sat Oct 16 01:06:45 UTC 2004

Darren Wheatley wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have installed Firefox 1.0 PR and it works fine.
>
>However, I just did a "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and the logs tell
>me that firefox was reverted to the 0.9.3 version.
>
>Now when I do an apt-get install mozilla-firefox it tells me that the latest
>version is installed.

I checked my archive and could not find the 1.0PR in there, just the
official Unbuntu release, so I tried compiling it from scratch. That
didn't get me too far so I did the following (as 1.0PR caused no
problems for me on my thinkpad):

    Go to mozilla.org and find the download link for Firefox
    Download their installer.
    bunzip2 it
    Then untar the resulting tar file.
    It will create a directory called firefox-installer
    issue the following command to install firefox:
        sudo firefox-installer/firefox-installer
    For some odd reason it defaults to the installer directory, I
changed this to opt/firefox
    Let the install take place . . .

Once it is installed, right click on the globe at the top of your screen
and select properties. Where you see the word firefox, change it to
/opt/firefox/firefox
Then go to your menu, find firefox under internet and right click
properties, do the same as above.

I do not know if these changes will be overwritten by an upgrade, but
lets hope that problems with 1.0 are fixed before that time.

Darren