A fun way to make coasters with ISO's

Doubletwist doubletwist at fearthepenguin.net
Fri Oct 15 17:40:20 UTC 2004

Barry George wrote:
> Hi all, I'm a newbie here to Ubuntu <dodges flying beer bottles>.
>
> Ok I have a burning issue, if you'll pardon the pun. I'm installing
> Ubuntu 4.1 for the first time as I've played with Debian and like it
> as server software. I've burned the i386 iso, using Nero > burn
> image, but it seems that the bootable image - just isn't.
>
> I've tried using a smart boot manager but when booting from the CD
> get Disk error 0x0c on all the disks I've burnt. I have re-downloaded
> the image and re-burnt 3 times. I've also tried a couple of different
> i386 machines to install to. Interestingly enough I don't have a
> problem loading the image through VMware. Can't say I've ever had an
> ISO not burn correctly before with my setup and I'm not getting any
> error messages.
>
> Has anyone seen this before and what burning software would you
> recommend if you think that this is the problem?
>
> Cheers and thanks Baza

Have you checked the MD5SUMS for the iso after you downloaded it? I used
Nero [6.3.1.6] to burn my iso's and they've all worked fine so far. You
say that you can load the image in VMware, are you able to use it to
Install into vmware?

Other than that, I can't say. I've had ISO's that wouldn't boot on my
laptop but worked fine on other machines, so there can be
incompatibilities, but if as you say, it doesn't work on several
machines, that just points to a corrupt iso or CD.

As far as my experience goes anyway.

Good luck!

DT