Totem crashes when trying to play avi file and no sound preview in nautilus

Bastian Doetsch bastian.doetsch at gmx.de
Fri Oct 15 17:26:24 UTC 2004

Hi there,

are there any known workarounds for playing avis with totem? It just
starts up and instantaneously crashes. I already installed the w32codecs
package from universe but that doesn't help.

Moreover, contrary to the Mandrake 10 I had on my computer beforehand, I
don't get any sound-previews in nautilus anymore. Normally, it just
started playing a file when I did a mouseover on a wav or mp3 file, now
it doesn't. Any clues here?

Btw., Ubuntu is in my opinion a very good distribution. I think I'll
stick to it, being a former mandrake user. If it wasn't for the
multimedia issues, it would have been even more astonishing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Bastian