Problem with xserver-xfree86 >4.2.1-6

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at canonical.com
Fri Oct 15 05:09:18 UTC 2004

Eric Feliksik wrote:

| Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

|> Eric Feliksik wrote: | When installing ubuntu everything went
|> fine, except for my X. | (4.3.0.dfsg.1-6ubuntu22 package) | My
|> monitor read "Horizontal frequency too low". I had this a while
|> ago | with normal debian as well, and only xserver-xfree86
|> 4.2.1-6 or older | would work (I tried 4.2.1-11 and -12 as well
|> as the debian 4.3.0 package). | | I tried using my old config
|> file with the ubuntu package for 4.3.0, but | then the message
|> would be: incorrect vertical frequency. The server | never
|> crashes, however. | | So now I'm running X with my old
|> XF86Config-4 file and the debian | package xserver-xfree86
|> 4.2.1-6. Maybe this is because of weird | videocard/monitor
|> combination. | My Video-card (onboard chip): |     S3 Inc. VT8375
|>  [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] | My Monitor: |     Taxan Ergovision
|> 895LR ( http://www.taxan.co.uk/old.htm#895 ) | | I included the
|> attachments "XF86Config-4.ubuntu" which was made by ubuntu. | The
|>  working X-config, the one that I am running now, is included als
|>  | XF86Config-4.old . | | The X output for running the 4.3.0 was
|> the same for both configuration | files. It's included as
|> attachment "xoutput". | | Maybe this problem has to be passed
|> upstream to Debian, but I hope | anyone can help to address this
|> issue. | | Regards, | | Eric |

|> The monitor is recognized perfectly. Atleast according to the
|> configuration you have send to me. Either the savage driver is
|> broken or your monitor is complaining for something that it
|> shouldn't.
|>
|> Notice this:
|>
|> ~        HorizSync       30-85 ~        VertRefresh     50-120
|>
|> these 2 bits are the ones that tells X the monitor freq range.
|>
|> You can verify it by "xresprobe savage"
|>
|> Both in the new and the old config these values are the same.
|>
|> Fabio
|>
| Thanks for your reply. Lets see:
|
| root# xresprobe savage id: res: freq:
|
| It does not give me much response. I set the HorizSync and
| VertRefresh to those values to match the specifications given at
| http://www.taxan.co.uk/old.htm#895 .

Ok.

| There's not a really big problem now, although I can't update my X
|  server. But should this be fixed as a bug, or is it more realistic
|  to blame this on my monitor and leave the software/settings as it
| is?

Well can you send me the logs of the X server that causes the problem?
the one in the previos message was with the working one.
I need to be able to compare the good and the bad one.

Fabio

- --
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error
log.
<user> fajita: step two
<fajita> When in danger or in doubt, step two is to scream and shout.