Default Theme v. Community

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Oct 15 03:04:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:44:04PM -0400, dave wrote:

> "Too bad" might be a tad strong, but I get the feeling the developers
> aren't taking this issue anywhere near as seriously as the rest of us.
> This is due to the near-total lack of an official response. From Mark
> Shuttleworth, we got "this is exactly what the mailing list is for,
> we'll see what happens" (*not* his exact words, but what I got from it),
> and that was it.

I think "too bad" isn't just strong, but an entirely different sentiment
than was expressed in Mark's email.

These changes are barely 24 hours old, and yet:

- There is an active community discussion in progress, with multiple
  viewpoints being expressed

- There has been a public position statement from the SABDFL on the subject

- Folks from Canonical, Ubuntu users and even random third parties are
  participating, and their voices are being heard by decision makers

This sounds like a healthy process to me so far.

> Someone posted earlier that the theme issue was being discussed on
> ubuntu-devel. I searched that list using Gmane, but couldn't find any
> thread that looked as if it might be related. Of course, I may have
> overlooked it, please correct me if I did.

There were only a couple of messages on the subject; nothing that hasn't
already been expressed here.  I asked that the discussion be kept on this
list, and not spread to ubuntu-devel.

--
 - mdz