Ubuntu and speedtouch (try the speedtouch package)

Elliot F. elliotf-ubuntu at gratuitous.net
Fri Oct 15 01:19:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 17:09 +0000, adel wrote:
> I have speedtouch 330 silver modem, in red hat 9 I use
> speedtouchconf.sf.net script that install driver, files and set itself
> to start at boot... no problems
>
> in Ubuntu running (install gcc first) ./speedtouchconf.sh says /dev/ppp
> not found, ok "mknod /dev/ppp c 180 0" then ./speedtouchconf.sh enter
> your informations et voila... you are online

Is there any reason you're not using the speedtouch package that ubuntu
has?

elliotf /pt/lltf $ apt-cache search speedtouch
speedtouch - userspace driver for the Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL
Adapter
elliotf /pt/lltf $ apt-cache show speedtouch
Package: speedtouch
Section: universe/net
Installed-Size: 328
Maintainer: Marco d'Itri <md at linux.it>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.2-t20040511-3
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), ppp, libatm1
Filename: pool/universe/s/speedtouch/speedtouch_1.2-t20040511-3_i386.deb
Size: 95738
MD5sum: 94dccb8cfb09ac022e5e25a5d6847b01
Adapter
 This package contains userspace utilities and daemons necessary to get
 the Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL Adapter working in Linux without any
 kernel patches.
 .
 The drivers communicate with the adapter via usbdevfs in /proc/bus/usb.
 The 'modem_run' utility locates the adapter, initialises it, uploads
 the firmware, and monitors the ADSL line, and the 'pppoa3' daemon
 passes ATM frames between the ADSL adapter and the pppd process.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu

Perhaps give that a try?  In general, apt-cache search is your friend.