Installing older packages (was Re: Anyone know how to remaster the CD with previous images?)

Elliot F. elliotf-ubuntu at gratuitous.net
Fri Oct 15 01:00:51 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 08:36 +1000, John D'Agostino wrote:
> On that, (im new to debian and apt) can you actually "downgrade"
> packages? if these packages exist in the package archive?

You can:

$ sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/ubuntu-artwork_0.2.10-1_all.deb

The problem is with the dependencies.  Evidently, there are some icons
or something that are used in the Firefox package that depend on
ubuntu-artwork version 2.11...

The easier/better thing to do would be to follow the FAQ located:

http://wiki.ubuntulinux.org/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

See numbers 11 and 12.  What I did (for gdm) was copy the "Human" theme
directory to "Inhuman" and modify the contents of it to use a different
(the older) image.  If you like, I can post those changes.  Then maybe
at a later date, they'll provide a more...  modest?  Set of images.

To put my two cents in, I was rather suprised to see the half-naked
people show up, but I finally understood what the circle logo was.
Perhaps something cartoony, or (as someone already suggested) the same
thing with dressed children?  I don't think anyone could argue against
that (okay, they could.)

Elliot F.