Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Seth Williamson orthodox at ntelos.net
Thu Oct 14 20:48:35 UTC 2004

David Marsh wrote:

 > I'm afraid I really can't see how anybody can take offense to
 > the login screen, I really do think it's excellent...

Then you haven't worked in an uptight corporate environment where the
managers are hyper about porn and the very appearance of skin on the
computer screens of staff 'droids.

It makes no difference in many corporate environments that the splash
and the wallpaper are not really that racy.  All it takes is one PC type
to claim that he or she is "offended" by it, and it's lawyer city.

This by itself is enough to disqualify the distro in the minds of many
corporate managers.  It's insane for a good distro to cripple itself so
needlessly.

Myself, I don't have much of anything against it, except that I think it
looks stylish but dumb.  But on my personal computer at home, I can live
with dumb if the OS itself is good.

But that's NOT the kind of test you have to pass in many production
environments, and if the creators of this distro can't understand that
fact of life, then they may as well resign themselves to being just one
of a gazillion little Debian knock-offs when the potential was so much
greater.

Seth Williamson
Daleville, VA