Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Thu Oct 14 18:01:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 17:55 +0100, David Marsh wrote:

> On the other hand, it is a sad reflection of the need for society to
> shake off its 'Victorian values' that the splash screen and background
> could be deemed inappropriate by some (closed-minded people) in some

Well, it seems you are in the minority of not disliking the theme. Also,
calling people who dislike the theme closed-minded is a stretch.
Pictures of happy people are often considered kinda
cheap/tacky/commercial. It feels almost like someone is trying to sell
you something. I bet one of the reasons people have a negative reaction
to the images is that having other people see the images is embarrassing
- you just have to tell people that "I didn't choose it, and I'm going
to change it ASAP".

Remember those Scientology/Watchtower/Jehova's Witness publications?
Their image material is suspiciously similar to the new theme...