IBM ThinkPad X20 : install successful + tips

Christian Casimir c.casimir at laposte.net
Thu Oct 14 11:18:20 UTC 2004

I had pbs with getting sound and with ethernet.

I made a fresh install with the 10-13-04 Candidate Release of Warty, and
it resulted in sound working fine out of the box ! I dunno what you
changed since a couple of daily iso's but it works !

As for the ethernet pb :
eth0: command 0x5800 did not complete status= 0xffff
eth0: command 0x2804 did not complete status= 0xffff
eth0: command 0x3002 did not complete status= 0xffff

I managed to solve the problem by adding "acpi=off" (separated from the
last parameter by a space) to the #kopt line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Easy peasy ! I longed for ethernet to work (my DSL connection depended
on ethernet), and sound too ! So I'm a happy man ! ;-)

Thanks again to the team who's done a fantastic job ! I'm now going to
promote Ubuntu with my laptop everywhere I go ! ;-)

C. Casimir