How does universe works?

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 02:25:48 UTC 2004

I don't have a GREAT answer for you, but I thought somebody should say
SOMETHING after three humorous posts. :-)

Matt just explained this in another thread:

"The snapshot of Debian sid used as the starting point for Warty development
was frozen in late June.  Sarge entered its first stage of freeze (affecting
"base" and "standard" packages only) over a month later on August 7th.  The
rest of Debian is not yet frozen, and new versions of software continue to
enter sarge."

If I understand that correctly, the software that Ubuntu uses is a
snapshot of what Debian uses - so I would think that however
maintainers work with the universe in Debian, would be the same for
Ubuntu. Hopefully that makes sense to someone besides me. :-)

Sorry I can't be more technical, but that should shine a little light
on the subject.

Aaron