More on unable to boot

Andy Jarvis andrew.jarvis at kolumbus.fi
Wed Oct 13 17:31:16 UTC 2004

I ran the recovery boot option and found the additional lines shown
below preceeding the Kernel Panic message:

VFS: Cannot open root device “hda5” or unknown-block (0,0)
Please append a correct “root=” boot option

For completeness, the section of my Grub menu.lst normally invoked and
which first resulted in this problem reads:

root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-k7 root=/dev/hda5 ro quiet splash
savedefault
boot

I hope this sheds some light on the problem. BTW I am able to mount my
Linux partition in BeOS with read access so I know the disk is not
basically corrupt (also indicated by the fact that Grub is reading
menu.lst.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Regards,
AndyJ