Problem with xserver-xfree86 >4.2.1-6

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Wed Oct 13 15:22:27 UTC 2004

(I sent a mail with similar subject a few days ago, when I wasn't a
member. Unfortunately it appears to be lost.)

When installing ubuntu everything went fine, except for my X.
(4.3.0.dfsg.1-6ubuntu22 package)
My monitor read "Horizontal frequency too low". I had this a while ago
with normal debian as well, and only xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-6 or older
would work (I tried 4.2.1-11 and -12 as well as the debian 4.3.0 package).

I tried using my old config file with the ubuntu package for 4.3.0, but
then the message would be: incorrect vertical frequency. The server
never crashes, however.

So now I'm running X with my old XF86Config-4 file and the debian
package xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-6. Maybe this is because of weird
videocard/monitor combination.
My Video-card (onboard chip):
     S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
My Monitor:
     Taxan Ergovision 895LR ( http://www.taxan.co.uk/old.htm#895 )

I included the attachments "XF86Config-4.ubuntu" which was made by ubuntu.
The working X-config, the one that I am running now, is included als
XF86Config-4.old .

The X output for running the 4.3.0 was the same for both configuration
files. It's included as attachment "xoutput".

Maybe this problem has to be passed upstream to Debian, but I hope
anyone can help to address this issue.

Regards,

Eric