Default Theme

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:14:37 UTC 2004

> I have been using ubuntu for a while now, and have been extremely impressed
> with it's well thought-out design and feel.
>
> I have been using the system since the preview release, and have been happy
> with it so far. However, I recently updated the system and saw changes to the
> default theme which leave me a little bit uncomfortable. I was going to setup
> my in-law's computer with this, and they, like me, are conservative and seek
> out those things that choose modest attire. I was surprised to see the new
> default theme which does not hold to these ideals. I know I can change the
> theme, but I am uncomfortable with the idea that this is the first thing I am
> presented with. There are many others, I would imagine, who would seem to
> agree with me.
>
> Basically, I was wondering if there is a chance that there be a bit more
> conservative theme by default for the first release?
>
> Thank you for your consideration

I actually had a similar reaction  when I first saw the new artwork
yesterday.  While it is a very beautiful image, in a more
business-orirented setting (or in some family setting) it's probably
not the thing you want by default on all your desktops.  In some ways
it's doesn't feel as professional than one of the simple bland
background image (with the word ubuntu prsent).