Unwanted syslog printing

janne jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Wed Oct 13 09:35:23 UTC 2004

For some reason, syslog is occasionally printing stuff onto the active
terminal. Every twenty minutes, I get a "localhost -- MARK --" line from
syslog. Postfix, too, was printing some warnings regularily until I got
fed up and stopped the daemon altogether (why is it running at all, btw?
No other "real" server stuff is running by default after all). It goes
without saying that this behavior is getting rather annoying.

I sort of suspect it's the xconsole-related lines in /etc/syslog.conf
that are the cause. Is there any good reason to not just comment away
that thing altogether?

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden