Expose, LaunchBar, Butler on Linux?

Thom May thom at planetarytramp.net
Wed Oct 13 05:27:43 UTC 2004

* James Gregory (james at james.id.au) wrote :
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:57:15PM -0400, Brett Kirksey wrote:
> >
> > LaunchBar lets you hit a system wide hot key and then just start typing
> > the name of any app, document, url, song, etc. and it will bring up a
> > list of matching items and let you open the one you want.
>
> Hitting ALT-F2 comes close. It will bring up a window you can type a
> command into on both GNOME and KDE. I haven't used KDE in a long time,
> but I know that the GNOME one will do auto-completion for you. I don't
> recall if it will deal with arbitrary filenames but it will definitely
> do programs.

LaunchBar is one of the only features from OS X I really miss - the command
box really is not a substitute at all.
http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/
Doing something like this on top of Beagle would rock hard.

--
That sounds like a lot of work... Can we out source?
The Revolution will not be outsourced!