g4 powerbook and ubuntu

Brett Kirksey ubuntu-users at valx.mailshell.com
Tue Oct 12 21:32:14 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 at 17:22-0400, Dale Kosan wrote:

> I would like to dual boot Ubuntu and OSX, I have Yellowdog
> installed now, how hard is the PPC install and what can I
> expect hardware wise? I know the Airport Extreme will most
> likely not work but what about sound, ethernet, video and
> USB? The g4 in question is about 6 months old if that helps...

I have Ubuntu installed on a G4 450MHz (AGP Graphics) and a B&W
G3 (with a G4 500MHz upgrade chip). I didn't have any trouble
with the install on either one, and right now, everything on it
is working great on both.

I have Yellow Dog installed on a Beige G3. Ubuntu was an easier
install, and Ubuntu has the most up to date packages. I'll
still be running Yellow Dog on beige G3s since Ubuntu can't run
on those, but I definitely prefer Ubuntu for its ease of
installation, ease of use, and timely packages.

Brett