Suggestions on packages to add to Ubuntu "main"

Bill Stoye skiffworks at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 12 13:27:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 22:58 -0500, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> Tim Hull wrote:

> > Good CD burning software (maybe k3b - however, that has downside of
> > needing KDE libs),
>
> As much as I appreciate K3B and how people need to burn CDs, I am curious about
> what CDs Nautilus can't burn (audio CDs and data CDs are the only CDs I think
> most people would want to burn).  Admittedly I can't get Ubuntu to burn any CD;
> I'm always prompted to remove the CD in the drive and put in a blank CD-R, even
> though one is already in there.  On a related note, Nautilus doesn't bring up a
> burn:/// window when I put a blank CD-R in the burner.

Nautilus does a good and easy job of burning Music and Data CDs
including .iso files very simply; however I've yet to burn a music CD
that plays on my home or vehicle player.

If someone knows where I'm going astray with this, please tell me the
error of my ways.

> I'm hoping Sound-Juicer will make it easy to duplicate an audio CD.  That's
> something I think a lot of people would want to do.

As far as I know, Sound-Juicer is just a ripper(extracts and encodes a
file to the hard drive), it doesn't duplicate/burn a CD. It works very
well for me; I've used Grip in the past, installed in in Ubuntu, but
have been unable to get it to recognize my drives.

Bill