Failing DHCP

Jan Morén jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Tue Oct 12 12:23:48 UTC 2004

tis 2004-10-12 klockan 06:55 -0400 skrev volvoguy:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:48:25 +0900, Jan Morén <jan.moren at lucs.lu.se> wrote:
> > I have installed ubunty (todays snapshot) onto a machine. For some
> > reason, however, DHCP is failing.
> >
> > If I run "sudo ifup eth0" I get (among other messages)
> >
> > sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
> >
> > and when dhclient tries to get an address it fails repeatedly and
> > eventually times out.
>
> I was getting that error on my iMac, but I could have sworn it was
> during the dhclient part and not when I was bringing up eth0. In my
> case things still worked fine. The card came up and got an IP address.
> I just assumed the error was not actually related to my network card.
> Surely someone here knows what the device "sit0" is.

Sorry - I was a bit unclear. That error is at the start of the dhclient
phase as well. sit0 is, as far as I know, just a pseudo-device acting as
a bridge between ip4 and ip6.

When you are getting messages about dhclient trying to contact the dhcp
server, is it using eth0 or sit0? It is using eth0 for me, and I'm not
entirely sure that what's supposed to be happening.

In any case, the card does get an entry in ifconfig - but only with an
ip6 address. No real ip4 address, and no routing entry.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden