Suggestions on packages to add to Ubuntu "main"

Tim Hull thully at umich.edu
Tue Oct 12 03:38:08 UTC 2004

Here's my new proposal of packages to add to Ubuntu CD, after using
Ubuntu a little more and hearing everybody's input in the previous thread.

Add:
Kernel-headers and image for 686
Kernel-source and kernel-tree (since sometimes kernel source is needed
to compile drivers from source)
Anything else required for compiling device drivers
A more modern PDF reading program than xpdf (like gpdf, for instance)
Mozilla Thunderbird and some text mode internet software (as suggested
by someone else - it sounds good to me also)
Good CD burning software (maybe k3b - however, that has downside of
needing KDE libs),

Also add (to restricted)
ltmodem/slmodem/hsfmodem drivers (and any other winmodem drivers)
Captive - NTFS drivers for RW access to NTFS

It seems like there would be enough space to add these things to the CD,
and it would make things go a lot smoother for new Linux users.