Suggestions on packages to add to Ubuntu "main"

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Tue Oct 12 00:46:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 05:47:34PM -0400, Tim Hull wrote:

> First of all, include all kernel variants (386,686,k7 etc).  I think only
> 386 was on the CD.

Sorry, we just don't have an extra 228 megabytes on the CD.  The 386 kernel
works everywhere, and the others can be downloaded.

> Also, include all source/headers and basic compiler tools so that we can
> compile drivers from other sources without downloading anything (as
> sometimes the drivers in question are networking-related drivers, and it's
> quite hard to download a compiler to compile your network drivers (for
> example, if you don't have a wired LAN connection and want to install
> extra wi-fi drivers or winmodem drivers).

This is already the case.  It's even documented in the FAQ.

> Also, include some winmodem drivers in "restricted" if at all
> possible.  In addition to this, I'd also like to see at least a base KDE
> install, and possibly some form of emacs, in main.

Emacs is not only in main, but installed by default.  Our position on KDE is
documented in the FAQ.

We are so responsive to your inquiries that we have fulfilled most of them,
or documented the answers, before you even asked. :-)

> There seems to be plenty of space on 1 CD for this, as the current ISO is
> around 500MB.

Note that the CD contains only the "desktop" package subset, not everything
in "main".

--
 - mdz