Synaptic

Super Donkey smurf_www at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 11 21:52:56 UTC 2004

I was just looking at the wiki for synaptic and I didn't find the
information that I got from this mailinglist and experience (this is my
first debian based distro btw).

That knowledge is that if possible you avoid packages in synaptic with
version numbers and for example in my case use linux-k7 and
linux-k7-headers to get always the latest instead of
linix-2.6.x.x.x-chipset.

I just had this issue when I wanted to install a python application called
Notemeister. It needed the python-dev files to compile. Synaptic showed
many versions of python and related files. But I noticed that downloading
python-dev would get me the lastest files. And will always when doing an
upgrade.

---
I would add this to the wiki if I knew how. Maybe some one else can.