Supported?

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 20:08:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 02:19:33 -0700, Carlo Almario <calmario at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just wondering if it'd be wise to run Ubuntu Linux on a PowerBook
> G3 233mhz/96mb also if it will run okay on a Pentium 166/48mb(Just for
> browsing and word processing).

Hi Carlo,

I have a G3 333Mhz iMac with 256Mb RAM that I installed Ubuntu on.
I've never run OS9 on this machine so I can't make comparisons to
that, but for everyday use (web surfing, email, instant messenger) I
would say that Ubuntu performs about the same (or slightly faster)
than OSX. I'm guessing this is because OSX's gui requires more
resources than X/Gnome.

Having said that, I don't think I would attempt an install on anything
less than what I have.

If you do decide to try it, I believe there's an option you can set in
the installer for systems with low memory. Maybe someone else that's
tried it can chime in with the details.

Aaron