APM on Sony Vaio

Seb Wills saw27 at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 16:41:43 UTC 2004

Hi,

Just installed Ubuntu on a Sony Vaio PCG-Z600NE laptop. Everything worked
beautifully (congratulations to the developers on putting together a great
distribution!) except:

1. I had to add
   Option "SWCursor" "true"
to the neomagic Driver section in XF86Config-4 to avoid screen corruption
around the mouse pointer.

2. Power management. I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

ACPI doesn't get enabled as the BIOS is older than 2001. If I insert the
apm module, it correctly reports battery status etc., but I can't get
suspend/standby to work. "apm --standby" does nothing other than leave a
syslog message "kernel: apm: standby: Unable to enter requested state".
"apm --suspend" does put the laptop to sleep, but when I wake it up the
system freezes with a blank screen. I've tried this from a text console as
well as from X. I've also tried adding "acpi=off apm" to the end of the
kernel boot command line - no difference.

Previously I had Debian woody on this laptop (with a 2.4 kernel). APM
suspend and standby both worked perfectly (the latter invoking the BIOS
suspend-to-disk procedure). Any suggestions to get this working under
Ubuntu would be very welcome.

Another issue is that the "Fn" hotkeys (to suspend, hibernate, change
screen brightness etc) don't do anything. I know on some Vaios these
require software drivers such as the "sonypi" kernel module. But I think
they should work with BIOS alone on my Vaio, since they worked fine with
my woody installation, without any special drivers. (I've also tried

Thanks

seb