Sound Problems With PPC Install

Kevin Carney kcarney2 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 11 04:25:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 16:30 -0400, Justin Bologna wrote:
> I am having problems getting sound to work correctly on a 2000 mac G4
> AGP.  Gnome CD player will not output any sound.

The problem here is that Gnome CD Player does not (yet) do digital audio
extraction.  Macintoshes (and many newer pcs) do not have an analog
audio cable going from the cd drive to the sound card, which is what
Gnome CD Player expects.  Thus, modern machines such as these must read
audio CDs as data and do the D/A conversion themselves instead of it
happening in the CD-ROM drive.

To play audio cds on your box you can do the following:

- Install beep-media-player (its in universe)
- Open the preferences (Ctl-P)
- Go to Audio I/O Plugins, select the CD Audio Plugin, and click
Preferences
- Select "Digital Audio Extraction" in the Device tab (and you might as
well select "Use CDDB" on the CD Info tab while you're in there)
- Thats it.  Now you can select "Play CD" (ctl-D) from beep's menu to
play CD's

As an added bonus, because you are using DIGITAL audio extraction, you
can get visualizations while listening to your CD's :)

I should also mention that you can do the same with xmms (though I
personally HATE the gtk1 interface).

hope this helps
Kevin