Linux Stand Alone Database?

Jan Morén jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Sun Oct 10 23:14:28 UTC 2004

sön 2004-10-10 klockan 15:47 -0400 skrev Brett Kirksey:
> On Sunday 10 October 2004 at 18:30+0100, david wrote:
>
> > I can't speak for Ubuntu as I haven't tried it yet but, there
> > are two apps the sort of meet your requirements (possibly).
> > Knoda, (this requires mysql & mysql-devel to be installed),
> > it has a gui for design of databases including a relational
> > editor and a form designer (with some queries built in). THe
> > other one os kexi, this is sort of part of the Koffice suite,
> > but has to be added manually. Again, it has a gui with all
> > sorts of bells and whistles.
>
> Pretty cool. Those look as close as I have seen so far. However,
> to completely match the ease of install of FileMaker/Access type
> apps, the sql db would need to be embedded.

Why embedded, exactly? Don't you rather mean "no need for DB
administration"? So if a DB is installed as just another dependency of
the app, and is automagically run with sensible no-need-to-touch
defaults, that is just as good as "embedded", yes?

As an aside, I own a Yopy PDA (linux-based), and if you don't actually
go look for it, you'd never realize that the tiny machine actually runs
MySQL on it for storing all kinds of configuraion info, adressbook, and
so on and so on. The BD is just there, with no need for direct user
interaction, ever.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden